05 March 2024

Logging on to a Belgian government website as a foreign taxpayer

by Biene Ongenaert and Hannelore Durieu

In recent years, the Belgian administration has focused heavily on digitalisation. Nowadays, almost all tax services, from filing a tax return to receiving documents, are only available in digital form. However, it is not always easy for foreign taxpayers who do not have a Belgian identity card to access these online government websites. Here is a brief guide to the different ways of logging in.

Logging in via Electronic Identification and Trust Services or eIDAS

To facilitate cross-border digital transactions within the European Union, eIDAS has been created. This platform allows citizens of another European country to log in to Belgian government websites using their national ID card. However, in order to use this method, taxpayers must already have an identification number in Belgium ("BIS number").

Furthermore, this method is not yet available in Belgium for all European countries. This option is currently available to citizens of the following countries: Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Spain, Croatia, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Slovenia and Slovakia.

Requesting a digital key

A second option is to request a digital key from a Belgian registration office. After an identity check, you will receive a personal activation code and a link to activate your digital key. This digital key can then be used to log in to the various government websites.

The Foreign Registration platform (ForReg)

For foreign taxpayers who cannot use eIDAS and who do not wish to physically move to Belgium, an alternative validation procedure, ForReg, has recently become available.

However, this procedure cannot yet be used for all government sites. At the moment, only the 'professional diesel' application is available. The BIZTAX and Intervat applications should soon be linked.

Giving power of attorney to a Belgian tax advisor or accountant

Foreign taxpayers can, of course, always give a power of attorney to their Belgian accountant or tax advisor to act as their representative on the various Belgian government websites.

At present, this power of attorney can be granted by means of a paper form. In the future, it should also be possible to grant this power of attorney digitally via the new ForReg platform.

Questions about these procedures? Do not hesitate to contact our experts using the form below.

Contact form

Do you want to know more or need specialist advice? Don't hesitate to contact one of our specialists.

This form can only be sent with the use of technical cookies. You can accept these cookies here.
These cookies are used to distinguish people from bots. Certain data, such as your IP address or language preference, can be sent to Google. More information in our cookie policy.